Thursday, October 28, 2010

War and peas

As I mentioned the other day, I've got some leftover baby food issues. Namely the cubes of frozen purees sitting idly in Ziplock bags, beckoning me to thaw them or at least build a colorful igloo.
Every time I open the freezer door for some ice cream or a veggie burger patty, there they are. Reminding me of the energy and ingredients I put into making them. Shaming me for the waste.
No more, I say! This is war.
I conquered the leftover butternut squash and sweet potatoes in a spicy bisque on Tuesday. On Wednesday, I nearly conquered the sweet peas.
One of Josie's favorites right now is cheesy tomato (and chicken) pasta. So if she likes that, who's to say she won't like cheesy peasy chicken pasta?


I mean it is made of all the same ingredients, except I substitute sweet green peas for the tomato. It takes the same amount of time to make — No. Wait. Less time! You don't have to blanch and peel a tomato. It's a mini meal. And it has a cute name.


Next battle: green beans. I'm recruiting kitchen soldiers. Anyone want to strategize on how to take down the ranks of leftovers in my freezer?

No comments:

Post a Comment