Saturday, October 23, 2010

Weekend recipe: baby quiche

The other day I was soliciting breakfast ideas for Josie after falling into a rut of cereal and fruit. Thanks to kind hearted readers, I am regaining my mojo. Josie thanks you, too.
One of the ideas that has gone over really well so far is from my coworker Lisa. She said to bake eggs in a muffin pan, like quiches. I tweaked the idea by adding cottage cheese, which Josie is crazy about.
These quiches won my heart because they are easy to make, easy to store and made with whole foods. Josie fell in love with their eggy, cheesy goodness.
Breakfast bachelor No.1, step up and introduce yourself.
Baby Quiche
(Does not contain real baby)

Time
15 minutes
Ingredients and Equipment
This recipe should yield six quiches.
- 6 egg yolks (save the whites for a healthy grown-ups' omelet)
- 1 heaping cup cottage cheese
- pinch of dried chives (optional)
- muffin pan
Directions
In a bowl, mix the egg yolks, cottage cheese and chives. Pour the mixture evenly into a muffin pan and bake at 375 degrees for about 5-10 minutes, until the tops are firm and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.

(NOTE: I didn't use a nonstick muffin pan and discovered I should have sprayed the bottom with oil. Also, my muffin pan had 12 muffin cups. So, I poured a little water into the six empty cups so that the heat would be even. I think the water also added some steam and helped keep the quiches from drying out.)

No comments:

Post a Comment