Wednesday, November 3, 2010

BRAT

Nope. That doesn't refer to Josie. In fact, she has been anything but despite apparently catching my tummy bug. Poor gal. Poor Charles Barfley. Poor Bob Barfer.
She woke up about 4 a.m. today, around the usual time we change her, give her a bottle and rock her back to sleep. Except this time, we were greeted with splotches of upchuck in her crib. Nothing a quick change couldn't handle. She eventually took the bottle and went back to sleep. Half hour later she wakes us up with a sad little cry.
I rush in just in time to witness the projectile show. I was half frightened and half impressed. I hadn't seen that kind of velocity since college, and she didn't even cry about it later.
After another change and much wiping down, she is playing in her nursery like nothing happened. But her daddy and I are shaken. We've been through some ear infections, but never the yaks. And all the scary stuff I've read about dehydration comes rushing to the front of my conscience at once. I am worry monster mommy.
Fast forward to 8 a.m., when she's slept a little, dirty sheets and jammies have whirred in the washer and I've catnapped on the floor by her crib. Chris is taking the day off to watch the urpy baby and I am heading to work, but not before lecturing him to give her plenty of liquids — BUT DON'T FORCE THEM — and to follow the BRAT diet. That's bananas, rice, apple sauce and toast. All foods that are supposed to be gentle on the tummy.
Poor guy is exhausted and can only nod, waiting for me to leave them in peace. And heaven of heavens, I get this update at work around noon:
"Toast and apple sauce. So far, so good. She seems hungry."

Sorry I puked.

I guess good sleep, a light bottle and some BRAT make a curative recipe. I'm crossing my fingers and toes it's true.
Anyone out there have any other good ways to soothe the upset baby tums?

1 comment:

  1. I did not know about BRAT...I'm so glad I do! Rigby only has had one projectile vomit situation, and it was heat-induced. Poor thing was just wiped afterward...

    ReplyDelete