Monday, November 29, 2010

Weekend recipe: sloppy Josies

So...Josie is going through a finicky streak and what I hope is just a phase. One day, she's all, "Bananas! I freakin' love bananas!" And the next day, she's "Ugh. Bananas. No way!"
She used to chow down on sweet potatoes. Now, they're floor decorations.
Scrambled eggs and grits are so two weeks ago.
Green beans? On the floor. Carrots? On the floor. Oatmeal? On the floor.
Pretty much the only things that have been making it into her mouth are Cheerios, cranberry jiggle , cheese and yogurt. That's just not pretty.
I hope it's just that she's experimenting with gravity and will go back to eating. Or that she's toying with her new found will. Or that feeding the dog, right now, is more fun than feeding herself.
While I know she's getting most of her nutrients still from bottles, the time of table food and whole milk only are quickly approaching. As is the end of my patience. A month more and I may be at the point where I'm offering to buy her a pony if she'll just eat peas.
But for now, I'm adopting the U.S. State Department policy that I don't negotiate with (mealtime) terrorists.
And I'm trying to be more creative. Thus was born this weekend recipe.
She gets sloppy Joes at day care. I'm not sure how much she eats, but I haven't heard any reports that she's not. So, if I can't beat day care food I sure as heck can make it better and healthier.
And, I can repurpose some of that delicious, leftover turkey in my fridge.

Sloppy Josies
Time
About 30 minutes
Ingredients and Equipment
- 1/2 a medium onion
- 1 carrot
- extra virgin olive oil
- salt
- A few handfuls of roasted turkey (You'll only need enough to make a few sandwiches. A good chunk of breast meat and some thigh meat will do. The first time I made this, I added way to much and had to triple the sauce recipe.)
- 8 oz can of plain tomato sauce
- Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/8 tsp paprika (not hot paprika)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (mild)
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- wheat bread
- saute pan
- sauce pan
- food processor
Directions
- Peel and dice the onion and carrot. (The dice should be about finger tip sized.)
- Saute carrot and onion in about a teaspoon of extra virgin olive oil, with a pinch of salt, on low heat until the onion is translucent and the carrot is soft.
- Transfer carrot and onion to the food processor and pulse
- Add the turkey meat and pulse again until you get the texture you'd like. (The first time I tried this, I pulsed too long. The turkey ended up the consistency of potted meat. Josie didn't seem to mind, but it wasn't as appetizing for the adults.)
- In a small sauce pan add the tomato sauce, a few dashes of Worcestershire sauce, brown sugar and spices. Simmer for five minutes and let cool.
- Mix the the ground turkey and sauce in a bowl. Then serve on toasted wheat bread. (I constructed Josie's sloppy Josies in a mini-finger sandwich fashion. Presentation plus!)

No comments:

Post a Comment