Sunday, November 21, 2010

Weekend recipe: home unfries

By most measures, I'm head cook in this house with one big exception: breakfast. I'm OK at breakfast.
No, actually I'm pretty bad.
That's because I'd eat cold, leftover take-out for breakfast — and have on many occasions — if left to my own devices.
Fortunately for us, Chris is The Breakfast Master. And yes, I meant to capitalize the.
He, like any good southern gent, bakes biscuits from scratch. He can whip up a mean egg white omelet. He makes terrific blueberry pancakes. He makes the best home fries.
But I like to call them unfries because they're not fried. They are baked. And boy, are they good!
Really, his weekend breakfasts with a good pot of French press coffee were the only reasons I'd get up before 10 a.m. That was before Josie. Now, those breakfasts are what I look forward to as I balance a baby on my hip and search for my glasses at 7 a.m. on Sunday.
Even Josie's digging these first family meals, especially the home unfries. What can I say? Girl likes her some potatoes.
So without further rambling, here's Chris to guest host this edition of "Weekend recipe." Take it away!

Home Unfries
Hi! The Breakfast Master here.
Breakfasts and grilled meat. That's what men do -- mostly because it is basic and you can do it with a beverage (coffee or beer) in one hand. I think the cavemen discovered this.
Regardless, I have to say it is satisfying to prepare something for my daughter that she really digs and I can feel pretty good about. Here goes:
Time
About 20 minutes
Ingredients and Equipment
- Two medium red potatoes
- Paprika (sweet)
- Flake salt (a pinch)
- 1 Tbs of canola oil
- A sharp knife
- A small mixing bowl and spatula
Directions
- Wash and slice the potatoes into sticks about 2 1/2 inches long and about 1/2 inch thick. Leave the skins.
- Place in bowl and microwave for three minutes (this is an optional step, but I find it makes the baking go a little faster and does not affect the taste).
- Drizzle canola oil on the potatoes and sprinkle with paprika and salt.
- Using a spatula, stir the potatoes in the bowl until they are evenly seasoned.
- Spread the potatoes flat on a baking sheet and place in an oven (or toaster oven) preheated to 425.
- After 10 minutes, flip the potatoes over.
- Continue to bake another five minutes or until golden brown.
- Place on paper towel or napkin on a plate to blot any excess oil and serve.

Thanks, babe! I'm already ready for next weekend.

No comments:

Post a Comment