Thursday, November 25, 2010

Thanksgiving gobble, gobble

This time last year, I was the stuffed turkey at the holiday table. I was carrying Josie and two weeks from my projected due date. I could hardly imagine what was in store, much less what this Thanksgiving was going to be like.
So as Josie's first turkey day appeared in my headlights about a month ago, grand expectations began cartwheeling through my mind. We had hoped to join my husband's family in Atlanta, but our impending move (What?! We're leaving Mississippi? Yes, my friends. It's true. These muscadines are destined to become Georgia peaches.) and other stresses kept us home. My parents then planned to visit from Birmingham, but my mother was struck with the yucks.
Finally, we decided on a low-key, just-us shindig. At first, I was kind of bummed. Now, I can say it's been the most relaxed Thanksgiving I've ever had. And not a bad way to introduce Josie to the holiday. I am so thankful for her and my husband and 4,000-calorie days.
The family went to the zoo while the turkey roasted. We ate about 5 p.m. Josie had turkey, cornbread dressing, gravy, cinnamon sweet potatoes and homemade cranberry Jello.
Her favorite? The Jello. Followed closely by the gravy.
After eating and smearing the remains across her highchair tray, she danced a little jig to the soul music we played in the background.
It was so very cool and sweet and nice. I still missed my parents, my brother, my in-laws, the rest of the clan. But I had...well, here. See for yourself.

1 comment: