Tuesday, November 23, 2010

Table scraps

How You Like Them Apples?
I have been a victim of marketing.
About a month ago, Josie sampled juice for the first time. Chris and I wanted to avoid the introduction for a while because so many juices out there contain very little fruit and very lot sugar.
So, we did what we thought was best. We bought low-sugar or no-sugar-added apple juice, such as Mott's for Tots, and then we watered it down.
Well hello Shirley, we come to discover that buying these more expensive, "better" juices was essentially buying into a more expensive, not-really-better marketing campaign.
The other day at the grocery store, Chris stops and says, "I want to check something." He grabs a bottle of the regular store brand apple juice.
Compare: Mott's — Contains 54 percent juice. No added sugar listed among ingredients. Sixty calories and 15 grams of sugar per serving. One hundred percent of vitamin C (RDA).
Kroger brand — Contains 100 percent juice. No sugar added listed among ingredients. Per serving 110 calories and 28 grams of sugar. Vitamin C 130 percent.
Yep, Mott's is lower in sugar and, thus, calories. But if I'm already watering down the juice, why am I paying Mott's for less juice and, what I imagine, is just more water?
It's not like buying Mott's has sapped my 401k or anything. I just don't like having my bubble burst.

Something Frosted, Something Chewed, Someone Pooped Something Blue
There was another birthday in Josie's day care class. That meant another round o'cupcakes for the babes.
When I picked her up this afternoon, the teachers had taken care to mop all the crusted frosting from her face except for three tiny blue specks near her ear.
"Josie was so into her cupcake," one of the ladies said.
"Well, Daddy's going to handle this diaper change," I said, except not out loud.
And as the saying goes, nothing is certain except death, taxes and that blue food coloring will ... Let's just the aftermath was extensive and cerulean.
"Did you eat a Smurf?" was all Chris could manage in the wake of such diaper devastation.
What I wasn't aware of was that the food dye could also stain her little tushie. If we had let her steep any longer, she would have had a terrible case of Avatar bottom.
Word to the wise, take it easy on the vibrant birthday cupcakes until baby is potty trained.

Turkey Lurkey
Oh. My. God. I'm. So. Excited. About. Baby's. First. Thanksgiving. Cannot. Stop. Writing. In. One. Word. Sentences.
Dear lord, that is annoying. I'm sorry. But I'm terribly into this holiday.
Don't fret. You'll hear alllllll about it soon.

1 comment:

  1. For the record, the blue diaper fairy continues to make her presence known.

    ReplyDelete