Friday, September 17, 2010

First things first

I'm not sure what this blog will turn out to be. Like raising my first child, it's an experiment.
I do know I want to talk about food and eating and cooking and nutrition and how those things are woven into our new "Holy Crap! Where did this baby come from?!" lifestyle.
I mean, who doesn't like talking 'bout food and babies?
But before we go any further, let's Tarantino this.
I had a baby in December. My husband and I named her Josie after my great grandmother, who (not really) coincidentally was an excellent cook and was known for her Polish attitude toward food. "Good people are fat people. Now, eat."
Before Josie was born, I began to to think about how I wanted to feed her, how I wanted her to eat and experience food.
I was a fat kid (and still am inside). I walk the fine line between indulgence and denial.
I hope Josie doesn't have that struggle. I hope she learns to find that elusive happy medium called "moderation."
I want her to eat well, know where food comes from, develop a good palate and still be OK with sometimes choosing to eat the Doritos. Yeah, I said it.
So far, I've been lucky. Big girl likes to eat and eat lots of different things.
Some things I attribute to that:
- I breastfeed.
- I waited until she was interested to start solids and encourage her to feed herself.
- I make most of the baby food she eats.
- I try to offer her a variety of foods.
- I just got lucky.
I can't say I have any of the answers, but I know the questions. I can't say I'm doing it (or anything) right or that I'm qualified to offer advice, but I'm game to try my best and share it all.
Won't you join me and Josie on our tasty adventure?


2 comments:

  1. My my. What a gorgeous kid, a gorgeous mom and a gorgeous quilt.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is a gorgeous quilt! Well loved, well used. Thank you for your craftiness, Noodles. Gorgeous friend.

    ReplyDelete