Sunday, September 19, 2010

Hindmilk is always 20/20

From the very beginning I knew I would breastfeed. Or at least give it a shot.
I can't really remember how I made up my mind. I know several women, whom I consider mommy mentors, who did and do.
I read research about how breastfeeding is beneficial to mother and child: lower rates of childhood obesity and faster shedding of post-baby flab, decreased risk for breast cancer, fewer incidents of ear infection and other childhood illness, better bonding, etc. It was also free and convenient, sort of. (I'll get to that later)
My husband super supported the idea — even though it meant giving up first dibs — and so did my family and friends.
Still, I recall wondering if I would be weirded out by the sensation or embarrassed at using what I had always considered intimate, sexy parts for practical nutrition. Essentially, could I wrap my mind around the duality of providing mealtimes and still filling out a halter dress?
As it turns out, the answers were nope, nope and yep.
But really, those weren't the right questions. There were moments where I was totally freaked or worried or huddled in a lump on my bed crying.
While it turned out that worry was all thunder and no lightning, I kind of wish I could go back and tell my brand-new-mommy self what this nine-months-in-mommy me knows now.
Here's my chance:
- You can do this and you will do this. In fact, you'll discover you like to do this almost as much as your baby. You'll share moments that no one else can encroach on. You'll rebond in the evenings after hard, long days at work/daycare. You'll have an awesome excuse to snatch that baby back at any gathering.
- You won't have to guess when the baby's hungry. Trust me, she'll let you know. When you hear that angry cat sound, you may want to feed her asap. (Some Polish genes are quite dominant.)
- You'll constantly worry about whether Josie is getting enough. For the love of popsicles, relax! She's happy and healthy. While you can't measure how much she's getting, that smile should tell you you're enough.
- You will breastfeed or pump in awkward places: Kroger parking lot, college tailgate, behind a historic church in Port Gibson while on assignment for work. They will all be funny stories later.
- People will think you are crazy/weird/possibly gross for breastfeeding this long. You will think they are crazy/weird/possibly gross.
- You will become so skilled at breastfeeding, you can do it while texting and eating a snack. But you may want to hang on to some of those snuggles. They are fleeting.
- You will want to quit. Sometimes, it will feel like you are nursing Mike Tyson...'s pet tiger. The slapping, scratching, kicking, punching, clawing, wriggling. But those early morning feedings and those dusky, bedtime feedings are magic. I'm talking rainbows and unicorns.
-Breastfeeding isn't free. You'll need a good pump and bottles. That's an investment, but you'll save thousands in the end. Good golly, Miss Molly! Formula is expensive!
- In some ways, breastfeeding not always the most convenient. In other ways, it is. It's harder to just whip out a boob when you need to, but wherever you are so is the baby's food. Portable and within reach and always fresh.
- Be glad you have a good pump and an awesome husband. They will get you through the rough times.
So, yeps. I'm a big advocate. And I understand not everybody can breastfeed or will or cares, but I believe in the miracle of being a mammal.
I guess, in short, all I needed to say was: HOORAY BOOBS!
Resources:

1 comment:

  1. HOORAY FOR BOOBS!! I read this post and went, "Uh HUH! yep! Oh, I'd love to tell myself that 9 months ago!" Breastfeeding is so beautiful, rewarding, difficult, easy, and something you'd do anything to continue. My plan is to go 12 months...I hope I can make it, and I hope you can too! what a pleasure, and I feel so happy knowing I'm giving him the best I possibly can. Boobs were made (primarily) for food. :)

    ReplyDelete