Saturday, September 18, 2010

Weekend recipe: spinach and potato


Josie has quickly grown out of the stage 1 foods and is loosing interest with stage 2. Meaning she's starting to prefer different textures and foods she can shovel into her mouth.
She's still eating mostly purees, but I'm trying to spice them up now with new flavor combinations and some seasoning. (NO SALT though)
Since I am an amateur, I like to check out the baby food aisles of my grocery store for ideas. I also like to think of ways to prepare baby-appropriate versions of foods my family enjoys.
So, this weekend I came up with this:
Spinach and Potato*
(Saag Aloo, for you Indian food junkies like me. "They tried to make me go to rehab, but I said, "Naan. Naan. Naan. Oops, tangent.)
*I'd like to caution you before I begin that you may be annoyed at my lack of measuring ingredients. I play fast and loose like that.
Time
Eh. Less than half an hour from prep to finish.
Ingredients and Equipment
-1 package frozen spinach
(While I usually opt for fresh produce, frozen spinach is a better deal. All the nutrients are there and you get more. I hate buying a big bunch of fresh spinach only to see it wilt down into less than a cup.)
-5 small red potatoes
-about a cup or so of sodium-free chicken broth
(I made my own by boiling a chicken, which I used to make chicken baby food. Recipe TBA)
-1/8 to 1/4 tsp of cumin
(If your babe is not a fan of spice, you can omit this. Or feel free to pick your own. Another good seasoning would be sodium-free poultry seasoning. If you and your little one are more adventurous, add a tiny bit of grated garlic)
-ice cube tray
-blender
Directions
-Peel and dice potatoes
-Place potato pieces in sauce pan. Add package of frozen spinach (No need to preheat. Do not drain. Just chuck the whole thing in).
-Add broth and seasoning
-Cook on medium heat and covered until potato pieces are fork tender
-Let cool, then puree in blender. (Mine turned out the consistency of pudding. If your baby prefers thinner purees, add water, formula or breast milk.)
-Portion out into ice cube tray and freeze
(I like this method of freezing because I can pop the cubes into a freezer bag, take out as many as I need the night before and let them thaw in the refrigerator. Cubes can last a month or two.)

No comments:

Post a Comment