Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Weekend recipe: Smoothie pops

Yeah, I know it's January. But in my head, I like to pretend it's June. Helps me get through the cold drizzly times.
Adding fuel to my is-it-summer-yet fire, is a sweet set of Tupperware popsicle molds I found tucked away in my father-in-laws cupboard. It's pretty much the exact same set I used as a child in the 19(ahem)80s(ahem) to make pudding pops (I was a cultish follower of Bill Cosby. It was the 80s.) and fruit pops and frozen Kool-Aid. Anyway, enough popsicle-induced flashback.
Suffice to say, I found inspiration. I added it up in my head, and the sum was "total yes."
- I'm trying to find different ways to get Josie to eat more fruit and take more liquids [TMI: But the switch to whole milk has created some problems...let's just say in the back porch area.]
- I wish it were summer.
- I love playing with popsicle molds.
- And, it turns out, my father-in-law is a huge fan of smoothies.
So here I go!

Smoothie pops
Very berry good!

Time
Prep time is about 15 minutes
Freeze time is a few hours
Ingredients and Equipment
- 1 ripe banana
- 1 cup frozen fruit (Go nuts. Mix and match. I like blueberries, strawberries, mango and peaches. You could also try pineapple. And grocery stores sell beaucoup kinds of frozen fruit mixes. Fresh fruit may be used, but you may have to add ice to get the smoothie effect, and I find that approach can yield watery drinks)
- A couple tablespoons of yogurt (I like vanilla yogurt, but fruit flavors or plain would work. With plain, you may have a tarter, less sweet smoothie)
- A few splashes of milk (just enough to get things moving in the blender. You could also use soy milk — just make sure your little one is OK with that.)
- Blender
- Popsicle mold set
Directions
- Dump everything in blender and puree until smooth and creamy.
- Pour the smoothie into the popsicle molds and freeze until hard.

"I wish it were summer, too, Mommy."


P.S. If you aren't down with the whole pops thing, just make the smoothie. Also, if you're not fortunate enough to find Tupperware popsicle-making treasure in your or someone else's pantry, go kitchen gangsta and pour the smoothie into Dixie cups and insert plastic spoons (preferably filched from a fastfood restaurant) as sticks.

2 comments:

  1. I know where you can get a whole raft of filched plastic spoons. From dear old Popsi-Popsicle himself! Now I know why he keeps filching the plastic wear and bringing it home.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a cheater way of doing this. I poured 100 percent (no sugar added) juice blends from the grocery store into the popsicle molds followed by a little drinkable yogurt. Super easy, super fast. Right now, mango peach and blueberry peach pops are chillin' in my freezer. And the other cool thing is that they come out swirled.

    ReplyDelete