Thursday, January 27, 2011

Spice, spice baby

Yes. I'm still here. And no. I haven't been stuck in Atlanta traffic all this time.
I will blame the lapse in transitioning and starting a new job because that's sounds better than laziness.
But don't lose heart; I've been doing a lot of feeding Josie — an activity that now includes more spices.
I've always been a gal who likes to mix it up. I've perked up butternut squash bisque with allspice and zinged plain, old steamed vegetables with a little smoked paprika. I ain't scared.
Yet, I was kind of shy when it came to whether I should spice Josie's food and with what. I wasn't quite sure what would agree with her, what she'd like, what would be too much to handle and what might just turn her into a werewolf. Fortunately, the latter hasn't happened...yet.
She likes sweet potatoes baked with a mix of ground cinnamon, nutmeg and cloves or scrambled eggs with a dash of dried oregano. She's a spunky chick like her momma. She's done well with spicier cuisines, as well: Indian, Ethopian and Thai. (Perhaps because I ate so much of it while pregnant and nursing.)
I'm not sure when I got comfortable with the notion of spicin' up Josie's meals. Perhaps, it happened when I just got too tired of making separate meals for her and decreed she'd eat the same thing as us.
Now, I don't put A LOT of spice in her food. I probably hold back a little more on seasoning than I normally would, and I stay away from the hot stuff. But all in all, she's been pro-spice.
Truth be told, she's been doing a little experimenting of her own:

(Warning: This video contains scenes of extreme cuteness, heightened by chubby legs and hiccups.)


Here are some links that I found helpful, too, during my quest to suss out the skinny on spices:
- http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipspices.htm
- http://www.babycenter.com.my/baby/startingsolids/spicesinbabyfoodexpert/
- http://www.livestrong.com/article/153972-what-herbs-spices-can-be-added-to-baby-foods/
- http://www.wholesomebabyfood.com/tipcurry.htm

1 comment:

  1. I think it's hysterical that she has the hiccups while she is organizing her spices. Any connection?

    ReplyDelete